Friday, March 22, 2013

Master Bedroom Closet- Part 2




Welcome back to our Master Bedroom Closet Before & After!
In Part 1 we cleaned out the mess, 
evaluated what stayed and what didn't, 
re-purposed hardware, and got ready to go shopping.





 Shopping

Cheat Sheet-   Before I left the house, I made a handy little cheat sheet.  

It had a small sketch of the floor space, the dimensions, what items I was shopping for, and the numbers of items that each piece of hardware had to hold. 


  • Tie Rack:            20-30 ties
  • Hat Rack:           10-15 hats 
  • Shoe Solution: 10-15 pairs of shoes

 I've learned that if I'm not truly sold on a product in the store, I shouldn't buy it.  Sometimes, that means going to several different stores.  That's what happened today.



First stop: Home Depot

I was after some other hardware for another project and found this hat rack for $19.98.  It was really advertised for jackets, scarves, and beltsIt works great for hats, too. 



 I also came across a great tie rack.  But, my handy dandy cheat sheet told me that it was too large to fit in the allotted space.  It would stick out from the cubbies and be a real problem.  So, I kept looking.

They had some great shoe solutions, but they weren't right for this project.  Some were too big.  Some were way too big and others just weren't right.

So, I kept looking.

 Next stop: Target

They didn't have any tie racks.  So, I kept looking.

I did find a great shoe solution.  It would be small enough to fit in the space we had available, hold enough shoes, and was a nice price at $14.79.
 






Next Stop: Wal-Mart

The only item left was a tie rack.  I found a revolving tie rack that was compact enough to fit in our tight space of 11.5" or less and hold up to 30 ties.  I was happy to see the price tag of just $11.97.  





Our Budget: $50

Shoe Rack:  $14.79 (Target)
Tie Rack:     $11.97 (Wal-Mart)
Hat Rack:    $19.98 (Home Depot)

Total Spent: $46.74!

Installation

Time to find the drill and start installing!  Before screwing hardware in, I measured to make sure there would be enough space between items.  
 
For instance, when I hung the dress hanger, I made sure to leave enough space so that the dress sleeves didn't overlap with the clothes already hanging adjacent to them.  


I also made sure to hang it high enough to give room for our shoe rack, but low enough to reach it and the hat rack that would be above it. 
 




Getting It All Together

Finally, it was time to put things back in their new homes and organize fully.  The cubbies are a wonderful resource, but they're really small and took a little creativity to get just right.  

Bedding & Blankets
In order to get all the bedding tamed, it took a lot of folding and re-folding!  In the end, when folded properly and housed in a pillowcase, the sheet sets looked amazing!





In order to fit bulkier items like blankets, I adjusted the shelves to a larger size.  Again, there was a lot of folding!  It was worth it because the blankets were off of the floor!  What a difference!

Shoes
Once the shoe cubby was assembled (thanks, hubby!!), it corralled most of the shoes and looked so much better!  The old wire shoe rack was bent and shoes got caught on it a lot.  Boots that were kept in their boxes had plenty of room in cubbies.



Ties
The tie rack had more than enough room and fit nicely.  



Dresses & Belts
Belts looked great in their new home and the dresses were no longer in the way on the closet door.  





Hats
The hats are a little higher on the wall than I really like.  But, I can still reach them when I occasionally wear a hat. 


Extra Room
Notice that there are still a few empty cubbies! That makes me really happy!  :)  That means we've done a really good job.  Not only did we fit in everything, but we have additional space for new items (or ones we found later!).





You can actually walk in the (small) walk-in closet!  Blankets are on shelves, not the floor.  Ties are no longer protruding out of their broken home, bedding fits properly on the shelf, shoes have a lovely new home, and items that didn't belong in the closet anymore were purged.   
What a difference a Before & After makes!  

What makes this even more amazing is that we were able to keep this within our $50 budget-awesome!

In some ways, it's exciting to improve an existing space and create
 a new design that makes you appreciate all of the space that was really there, 
but was hiding in plain sight. 

Good design and progress are thrilling!  

This master closet has been mastered & we've Got It All Together.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover