Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Breakfast Solved

Are you tired of the same old boring milk and cereal for breakfast?  
 Is each member of your family whining for something different?  

Check out this $0 Budget Solution-


It's a pretend-you're-at-a-restaurant Breakfast Menu that your family plans, not you!   

I've really enjoyed the benefits of having a meal plan, but somehow breakfast always got left out.  


Everyday was a "I'll wing it" day.  After lots of "winging it" I came up with a solution that took less pressure off of me and got the kids involved.






Here's how it works-

  • Each child gets to choose what the family will have for breakfast and write it on the special breakfast menu.
  • No arguing!  If you're not crazy about what someone else picked, remember that you also had the opportunity to choose and your day will come.
  • In 2 weeks, lay it out for the kids to choose again.  


Details:

  • I created a blank menu in Excel, featuring each day of the week and spaces for them to write in their choices. 
  • Choices are at the bottom.  It's kind of like having your own personalized restaurant at home! 
  • The categories included "Drinks" and "Breakfast Foods."  I made sure to include options that I was willing to make and that we normally have on hand.  
  • If we were out of something or if time wouldn't permit a meal with a longer preparation time, I'd try to let them know while we were planning. 
  • I like to create 2 weeks' worth of ideas at once because it gives me more time before I have to do it again, and it makes me feel like I've really accomplished a lot!  :)


I don't know about your house, but in mine, breakfast can be a scramble.  (haha!)  Between sleepy kids, trying to get them ready for school, and managing differing tastes, it can get hectic quickly!  

So, after squelching bickering over the breakfast fare for (hopefully) the last time, I came up with this idea that's worked well in our home.  

It's just one small step that's helping us Get It All Together, together.

What's your family's breakfast routine?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover